This trip started off in India on 29th March 2008. My first destination was Singapore, followed by Macau, Hong Kong, South Korea, Japan, USA, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Colombia.
There there was a family emergency for which I had to rush back to India after which I returned to the US for about 3 weeks, and then onwards to the UK where I lived in London for a few months, before returning back to India on 11th January 2009.
I have blogged a little about this journey post-facto on this site as best as I could, and some articles are complete and the rest just a brief intro with some pictures. Read all related posts by clicking on the RTW2008 tag. You can check out my pictures and their captions from the trip which tell a far more compelling story here. Below is a chronological list of the relevant posts:
- The Anatomy of a Travel Dream (Or The Story of How I Got Greedy) – The evolution of a travel dream from a “quick jaunt” to a lengthy RTW trip.
- Planning My First RTW Trip (Part 1 – Destinations) – Choosing and eliminating destinations in East Asia, Middle-East, Europe, West Africa ad North and South America.
- Planning My First RTW Trip (Part 2 – Budget) – Budgeting for a Round the world trip. Allocating money for transportation, accommodation, food, recreation, etc.
- Planning My First RTW Trip (Part 3 – Visas) – Visa planning for my first Round the World trip. Choosing and rejecting destinations based on their visa policies towards Indian travellers.
- Planning My First RTW Trip (Part 4 – Flights) – Choosing flights for my 2008 trip around the world. Finding the cheapest one-way tickets, award flights and connections.
On The Road: Asia
- 29th March ’08 – The Journey Begins! – My journal entry from the date of departure.
- Singapore: “Disneyland with the death penalty” – My take on Singapore during the Singapore leg of the trip.
- Macau: A Mixture of Portugal, China and Las Vegas – Getting lost in Macau, feeling illiterate, gambling and soaking up the culture of three civilizations.
- Hong Kong I: Kowloon, Harbour, Bullet Holes and Slow Trams – Walking around Kowloon, Hong Kong island, taking the tram to the end of the line and going up to The Peak and inevitably, comparing Hong Kong with Singapore.
- Hong Kong II: The Canadian Visa Disaster – The one where my travel plans are derailed when I get rejected for a Canadian transit visa.
- Hong Kong III: The Airline Bankruptcy Disaster – The second setback: My airline goes bust!
- Seoul: Cultural Faux Pas, Great Food and Silly “Soul” Jokes – Walking around Seoul, visiting museums, palaces and libraries and soaking in the warm hospitality of my wonderful host.
- Incheon And Suwon: Stingrays, Hyundais and Historical Farts – Day trips from Seoul to the nearby towns of Incheon and Suwon.
- Busan, Gyeongju, A Japanese Racist and a Budhhist Monk – Day tripping in Busan, and a genuine temple-stay experience in the Golgul Temple (Golgulsa) near Busan.
- Odusan Observatory, Karaoke, Seoul Nightlife and North Korea – The next best thing to the Pamunjeom DMZ tour is the Odusan reunification observatory, where one can check out the literally lifeless border towns in the North.